periodic updates about arts and cultural news and resources
periodic legislative and congressional updates and requests for action
monthly statewide calls with local arts agencies and statewide arts and cultural service organizations; and periodic conference calls with targeted groups to share information, discuss and develop policies, and plan and implement strategies
a comprehensive resource for local, state, and federal information that impacts Florida's arts and cultural resources
a comprehensive directory of state and federal legislators and local, state, and national service organizations; research reports; and numerous other resource listings on Web site -- WWW.FLCA.NET.
Florida Cultural Alliance is recognized by Americans for the Arts as Florida's offical statewide arts advocacy organization; Sherron Long, president of the Alliance, serves as state advocacy captain and participates on monthly calls with other state advocacy captains from across the country. She also serves as current Chair of the State Arts Action Network Council of Americans for the Arts.
Represent Florida's arts and cultural interests and collective voice at state, regional, and national meetings, e.g., Florida Arts & Culture Council meetings, Americans for the Arts, State Arts Action Network Council, etc..
• Statewide Arts and Cultural Economic Impact Studies (we've conducted four such studies in the past) and other analysis of funding and grants awarded by state and federal sources;
• Every two years, assess candidates' and incumbents' views about arts and cultural resources, along with comprehensive candidate information;
• Research, initiate, write, and monitor legislation and other research reports, as needed, that impact artists, arts, arts education, and culture.
Other Services and Projects
• Employ the professional services of non-partisan legislative counselors during the Florida Legislative Session to inform us on legislative actions and schedules and represent our interests at legislative committee and individual meetings to help protect and advance our state's arts, arts education, and cultural resources.
• Coordinate a statewide advocacy network using e-groups, Web site postings, and CapWiz communications.
• Initiate and coordinate the Florida Heritage Project -- professional video recordings of Florida's cultural pioneers.
• Work with statewide and national arts and cultural service organizations to expand networks which advance arts and cultural resources throughout Florida. The Alliance works in partnership with the appropriate state and federal agencies throughout the year, e.g., the Florida Division of Cultural Affairs, Florida Council on Arts & Culture, Americans for the Arts, American Arts Alliance, Florida Alliance for Arts Education, Center for Fine Arts Education, and other state, regional, and national organizations.
• Organize Arts and Culture Day in Tallahassee and coordinate in partnership with Americans for the Arts Florida's participation in National Arts Advocacy Days in Washington, D.C.